Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for storing my ever growing lens collection

Re: Need ideas for storing my ever growing lens collection

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD

I don't think a Pelican case is fireproof is it?

No. I guess I blocked out the fireproof part.

Check this out: Pelican U.S. Dealer Locator

--------------------------------------

In NY State (Where your Bio places you):

R. P. LUCE & COMPANY INC.

81 SCUDDER AVE

NORTHPORT, New York 11768

www.rpluce.com

or online:

Grainger

www.grainger.com

BTWThere is still plenty of room for a few more lenses in my safe [].
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Pelican cases are fantastic and have been the "duck's nuts" for quite some time. You might also like to check out Storm Cases. There were an independent company but were bought out by Pelican last year some time by the looks of things. They are essentially the same material with a different latch. I find the latch on the Storm Cases are a bit better as the Pelican latches can get really hard to open after a harsh life.

I work in an underground mine and I'm also in the Mines Rescue squad so you can imagine what sort of environment we work in and how roughly the cases are treated. Both the Pelican and Storm cases have been flawless.

I've had my 40D and a couple of lenses in a Pelican 1510 while kayaking through white water and the tetherto the case broke (not the fault of the case, the rope I used snapped when the case went overboardand got caught up on a log). Foundit about 6 hours later still wrapped around the same log and not a drop of water got in. Made me rather happy.

Both the Pelicans and Storms have a pressure relief valve that adjusts depending on altitude. This is handy to equalise the case otherwise if the pressure inside the case drops for some reason it'd be near impossible to open.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Your post got me to thinking, so I checked out a large gun safe in costco today. Hardly room for my 600mm lens, not to mention my other lenses, cameras, flashes, and accessories. I'm sure I could fit them in if I built shelves, but wooden shelves would not be very smart for fire protection, so I'd need some metal ones.

The gun safes also have some sort of carpet looking material lining them which would be questionable in extreme heat as well. I wonder if they are worth it, as opposed to a good insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa

...wooden shelves would not be very smart for fire protection, so I'd need some metal ones.

The gun safes also have some sort of carpet looking material lining them which would be questionable in extreme heat as well.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Gun safes are generaly insulated with drywall and interiors are usualy carpeted wood. If temps get high enough that wood and carpet are a problem I'm sure your lenses would already be toast as well.

Check [url="http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html#fireproof]this[/url] out.

[quote=scalesusa]

I wonder if they are worth it, as opposed to a good insurance policy.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    [/quote]

I'd recomend both. If you're like me your gear isn't (and your guns aren't for that matter)in the safe anywhere near all of the time. Check this out.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I keep my lenses and camera in a filing cabinet. I've lined the inside with polysteirine (?) and whenever I get a new lense I cut out a new hole to fit it in there snugly (it's around 2" deep).

Filing cabinets are good as they have deep drawers, are discreet and nobody ever looks there for expensive stuff if your place gets knocked over. I'd avoid lining it with foam due to the inevitable detorioration and dust accumulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Filing cabinets are good as they have deep drawers, are discreet and nobody ever looks there for expensive stuff if your place gets knocked over

Right. People keep things like credit card statements, bank statements, etc., in filing cabinets. No thief would be interested in those.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Filing cabinets are good as they have deep drawers, are discreet and nobody ever looks there for expensive stuff if your place gets knocked over

Right. People keep things like credit card statements, bank statements, etc., in filing cabinets. No thief would be interested in those.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Dunno about you mate, but where I'm from when people steal your shit they do it properly: TVs, Computers, Cash, Jewelery, Stereos etc. I can't imagine anyone wanting to break in and steal a bank statement with no important details on it. Maybe they want to know how much interest I earn PA?

See what I did? I went and fed the troll. My bad. He knows everything, his opinion is fact, and his facts are ultimate truth.

Maybe with the next revision of the forum software, Bryan can add an Ignore button.

Sorry if you took personal offense dude, I just can't see someone breaking into a home and heading straight for a filing cabinet over something more obvious.

Offering a rebuttal to a statement hardly qualifies me as a know it all. Indeed, chucking a hissy fit at someone disagreeing with you is indicative that perhaps you are the one that needs to mature and consider other people's opinions.

Finally, I'd advise you to not take these sorts of interactions so seriously, it can't be good for your health.

EDIT:

Not sure you actually know what a troll is. "Someone whose ideas/opinions are different to yours =/= troll"

From wikipedia:

In [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang]Internet slang[/url], a [b]troll[/b] is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum]online discussion forum[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chat_room]chat room[/url] or [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog]blog[/url], with the primary intent of provoking other users into an [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion]emotional[/url] response<sup id="cite_ref-PCMAG_def_0-0" class="reference"][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29#cite_note-PCMAG_def-0]<span>[1<span>][/url]</sup> or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.<sup id="cite_ref-IUKB_def_1-0" class="reference"]<span></sup>