Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware updates - apply immediately, wait, or don't bother?

Firmware updates - apply immediately, wait, or don't bother?

Hi All,

This is my first time dealing with a firmware update (a non-issue when I shot film, and I got my 7D just around the time an update was released for my T1i, so I didn't bother).

There was the recent 'issue' with the 5D2 2.0.3 firmware update, resulting in release of 2.0.4 a few days later. For the 7D, it looks like the 1.2.0 firmware was never released publicly, but some cameras were sold with that version, and Canon indicates a specific problem with 1.2.0 that's addressed in 1.2.1.

I should note that I don't use Live View or movie mode that often or for long durations, I don't use the P mode, and if I did I wouldn't use Auto ISO anyway, and I don't speak French. So, based on the list of changes with 1.2.1, I have no real need for it.

So, is it advisable to perform the 1.2.1 updatefor the 7D right away, or wait a while to see if there are 'issues'? Should I apply it at all? Does Canon include 'undocumented' features in firmware updates that may be useful/necessary?

Thanks for your advice!

--John

Re: Firmware updates - apply immediately, wait, or don't bother?

I'd wait at least a few day.

John,

I have a 50D and I have never noticed any of the issues that have been addressed by the various updates. Therefore, it has been my practice to wait a month or two before updating to make sure no new issues are introduced which may affect me. Once that time has passed I then update. It has worked well for me. If you are not noticing any issues with your 7D, I would recommend this approach.

Chris

I'm with you Chris, although I never really did a firmware update on my 50D. I wish there was one when I sold it. It always gave me purple whitebalance. All my shots were slightly purple. There was a firmware update which removed it, but I never had the chance to use it [:P] If I knew earlier it could have saved me a lot of time though...

I guess if you wait a few days John and there isn't a bug in the new firmware, what's the harm to update? Perhaps you need one of the features anyway in the near future, you never know. But to be very honest I didn't do a firmware upgrade on my 5D2 yet [:P] And am also not sure when I will do it, fi I'll do it at all []

John, I have done two firmware updates and both went very smoothly and easily if you follow the instructions. As far as whether or not you should, I look at this way: Imay not need the fixes now, but Imay need them later, so I always update. I do agree with Nate, that it is a good idea to wait a few days to to make sure there are no problems with it.

Good Luck,

Bob
    Bob

Ok, I got adventerous andfailed to follow my own advice---Iupdated the firmware on my 7d----flawless as expected, no problem and camera still works.

Go figure [8-|]

Bob
    Bob

The general rule with firmware is to wait, unless it has something you need right now. Most of the time, firmware fixes are for situations that only happen to a very few users.

That goes for cameras, lenses, computers, and almost anything that has user upgradable firmware. You can always upgrade later, if you even do it at all.

Thanks, everyone. Your collective advice makes sense, and I'll follow the same procedure I use for my Macs - wait a couple of weeks to see if issues show up for others, and if not, proceed with the update.

I have a shoot this weekend. I'm waiting until Monday to update my two 7D bodies.

Practically, I'd wait until you had a hole in your schedule where you could be without the camera for the time it'd take Canon to fix it (shipping time, shelf time, bench time, test time, processing time, shipping time - shelf time can be several days if a load of CPS repairs come in when/after yours does), or wait for an equivalent amount of time after release so you can get a solid sense of how others' experiences have gone.

Technically, if I felt the fixes were compelling or urgent for my cameras, you'll find me doing the update as soon as I can put the relevant pieces in the same room (Internet-connected computer, 2GB memory card, card reader, camera).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I tried the new version 1.2.1 for the 7D. It seems it fixed the bounced slave flash overexposure problem, a problem which causes much more severely ruined images than anything else they mention they have fixed in the 1.2.1 version.