Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D Mark II now or to wait?

5D Mark II now or to wait?

I've been trying to decide if I should dive in and buy a 5D Mark II now or wait for the Mark III. I currently have a 7D, and I'm impressed with the camera. However I think I could benefit from the full-frame for landscapes and the improved low-light sensitivity. The only EF-S lens I have is the 10-22mm, which I could sell to help pay for the 5D. I also have the 17-40mm L, so I would still have the wide end covered on the 5D. I would keep the 7D even if I bought a 5D, since it would be good for telephoto shots and as a back-up camera.

What are your experiences with these two cameras? Does anyone out there have both or have used both? Do you think the difference in price of a 5D Mark II now and what I could get for it on eBay when the Mark III comes out would be worth it for the use I would get out of it in the next... year perhaps?
    - Trowski

Re: 5D Mark II now or to wait?

Your assuming the the 5D Mark III will come out in the next year. It may be much longer, I took a trip this summer and wanted a back up camera.Ikept hearing rumors of the 1Ds IV coming out and I thought I might want it.I finally gave up and bought a second 5D markII for back up, and there is still no 1Ds IV.I wouldn't wait it may be a long time before you see a 5D MarkIII.

The 5D you are going to get better IQ but it is slower. If I owned the 7D I would only be using it when I wanted to the speed to catch somthing moving.

It sounds like you would make good use of it, so I say go for it. Be sure first that you don't need any lenses or other accessories even more.

That said, keep in mind that the low light advantage is 1.3 stops (e.g. same noise at ISO 640 vs ISO 1600), and it comes at the cost of depth of field. In other words, if you want thinner DOF than the 7D, then you will be able to take advantage of the low light. But if you find the DOF is already thin enough with the 7D and you don't want to go thinner, then the 5D2 will not give you any advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    Do you think the difference in price of a 5D Mark II now and what I could get for it on eBay when the Mark III comes out would be worth it for the use I would get out of it in the next... year perhaps?

In my opinion, yes. It will probably be a few hundred dollars, which is easily made up with some beautiful thin DOF, low light shots.

I have both the 5D II and the 7D and love them both. There are many features of the 7D that I enjoy over the 5D II, such as the improved focusing system, orientation linked focus point, etc...but you already know the positives of the 7D. The 5D II is definitely the camera I turn to in low light situations. If you do a lot of low-light work, then that is the camera for you.

As Daniel said, it is worth it to get the 5D II if you don't have any other pressing needs in glass at this time. For me, good glass is usually the better investment. As you look back at Canon's track record at releasing camera bodies, it was almost 3 1/2 years between the release of the original 5D and the 5D II. I wouldn't want to bet on the Mk III coming out in the next year, and the resale value of the Mk II would still be very good over the next few years (just look at what people are getting for the original 5D these days).

If you have the need for it and the cash, then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    Do you think the difference in price of a 5D Mark II now and what I could get for it on eBay when the Mark III comes out would be worth it for the use I would get out of it in the next... year perhaps?

Yes. As others have said, no one knows when the 5DIII will come out. It could be years.

The original 5D kept value pretty well (better than I would have expected, anyway) after the 5DII came out.

I am of the belief that if you can use it now and you can afford it now, buy it now. As everyone thus far has mentioned, it could be a long time before a 5D III comes out and it most certainly will cost a few hundred dollars more.

Canon could even make a 60D type upgrade(?), who knows. Anything is possible.

I added a 5D II to my kit this spring and I love it. I do not think you will go wrong, as long as you will use it and you can afford it.

I have some pretty good glass, though if I wanted some of the lenses that they're currently offering rebates on, might be a good opportunity to pick it up with a 5D II.

My current lenses:

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (like I said, probably would sell if I got a 5D II)

EF 17-40mm f/4L

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

I'd say I have a pretty good selection of glass at the moment. I don't do a lot of portraits, but a prime lens like the 50mm f/1.2L might not be a bad idea for low-light. I also could upgrade the 17-40mm f/4L to the 16-35mm f/2.8L II, but I'm not sure how much I'd need the extra speed at such wide angles - I mostly would use the lens for landscapes, which is why I went for the 17-40mm in the first place.

It could be a long time before a 5D III comes out and it most certainly will cost a few hundred dollars more.

More than likely I'd upgrade to a 5D III when it does come out, so the fact that it will cost more isn't really an issue. More of the issue is the difference I'd pay now ($2500) to what I'd get on eBay when the 5D III does come out (probably ~$1500) worth it. So far it seems everyone says yes, it would be worth it.
    - Trowski

That's a pretty sweet collection of glass. You're going to be very happy with the 5D2, I can tell already. I think you'll be surprised by how much better the 17-40 and 24-70 are on full frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I think you'll be surprised by how much better the 17-40 and 24-70 are on full frame.

May I second that comment? After a year on my 40D, my 24-70 L "felt completely at home" when I picked up the 5D Mark II in August. It's seriously an astounding combination - You can't go wrong.

I think you guys have just about convinced me... it's a lot to pay, but I really think I would enjoy using the camera. The 7D is awesome, but every time I use it in low-light I'm left wanting. Plus I'd love only having to haul 2 or 3 lenses - usually I have 3 or 4 since I need to bring the 10-22mm if I want to take any ultra wide angle shots.

Does anyone have much experience with the 50mm f/1.2L. I had been considering this lens, and if I did get a 5D II it would be a good opportunity since I could get $200 off. Where do you find yourself using it the most? Events? Studio only?

So here's another interesting question: Should I get the 24-105mm kit and try and eBay the lens? Looks like I could actually get more than the $700 extra (including eBay's fees) that it adds to the price of the 5D II.
    - Trowski