Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EF-S Lens & compatability:

Re: EF-S Lens & compatability:

Easy answer: look at a picture of the body with no lens mounted.

If you see a white square, it'll take EF-S. If you only see a red dot, EF only.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I think in order to make the lens a little cheaper, they needed more realestate to work with (length). Knowing the 1.6 crop sensor is smaller, they snuckpart of the lens inside the camera. At least that's how I understood it. And the 1.3 is just big enough to hit. Like Peety said, no white square on the camera, no ef-s compatibility.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke
    I think in order to make the lens a little cheaper, they needed more realestate to work with (length). Knowing the 1.6 crop sensor is smaller, they snuckpart of the lens inside the camera. At least that's how I understood it.

I think what makes the lens cheaper is that an EF-S lens only needs to produce an image circle large enough to cover the smaller APS-C sensor (26.7mm diameter circle vs. the 43.3mm needed for FF). The smaller image circle means the optical elements can be correspondingly smaller in diameter (= cheaper), and the mechanical elements needed to move those lighter optical elements can be less robust (= cheaper), etc. Even so, 'cheaper' is relative, and you can see that with a lens like the EF-S 17-55mm - it's fast aperture and multiple aspherical and ultra-low dispersion elements give it L-level lens optical performance, and it has the L-level price tag to go with that. Still, the closest FF equivalent would be the mythical EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS - and if that lens is ever released it will probably cost nearly double with the EF-S 17-55mm costs.

Since the lens mount to sensor distance must be the same as FF for compatibility with EF lenses, but the 1.6x sensor requires a smaller mirror, Canon took advantage of that slight increase in space within the mirror box to design lenses that protrude a bit further into the body. The short back focus also facilitates the design of wide angle lenses.

--John

You "can" make an EF-S work with a 1D series body. The trick is you have to remove the rear bezel (black plastic), which can be done by hand after zooming all the way out with the lens. Below is a link with the write up on the 10-22.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954/page2/

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated.
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

My link is from the official technical data sheet, found at canon.de, the German Canon hp. AndI can't believe in differences between Canon Europe and Canon USA...so no EF-S lenses on the 10D (or any other 1.3x crop sensor cameras).

The technical problem is the mirror, not the distance between lens and sensor. You can remove the mirror (but do You want to try it???), but then You have no more viewfinder...

So the only right decision is: 10DOR EF-S lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves

Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated.

<div id="refHTML"]</div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

My link is from the official technical data sheet, found at canon.de, the German Canon hp. AndI can't believe in differences between Canon Europe and Canon USA...so no EF-S lenses on the 10D (or any other 1.3x crop sensor cameras).

Hi Yves:

Understood about the link. The problem is that for many of us it is written in German. Good for you not for me.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

[url="http://translate.google.com]http://translate.google.com[/url]

good luck [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Thanks Jan!!!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

No biggie []

Hi Yves:

Understood about the link. The problem is that for many of us it is written in German. Good for you not for me.

Godspeed

Wayne

Sure, that's a problem. But it is better to get official informations in a foreign language then to get no informations...[^o)]

And, by the way, sometimes I have some trouble to find out what is the meaning of the posts here...but I still do my best![]

Jan's link worked fine, I hope.