Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unsure what lens to get, please help ;)

unsure what lens to get, please help ;)

I recently purchased a canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM to replace my canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

Now i am looking to purchase a L series lens to replace my EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.. I will be using this for mainly landscape shots. I’m presently using a Rebel Xti but i might up grade to a full frame in the future, not 100% sure yet.

I am just lost in what lens to get for wide landscapes. I don’t want to carry a tripod with me and i was hoping for an IS on this second purchase... i really love my new and first prime zoom lens, and i want to stay in that line of lens now. I’m not a professional photographer, it’s a hobby for me that i enjoy very much.

I was looking at the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens... the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM Lens.. are they still ok for hand holding regardless they have no IS... or maybe the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens. I’m new at learning to stop down the f stops and all that stuff but i am slowly learning.

I’m ready to make my second purchase as soon as i can decide what to get out of these 3 lens i have mentioned.. or maybe there would be another lens you would recommend for me in the prime series. I hope you can help me make my decision..

Re: unsure what lens to get, please help ;)

If you:

don't mind selling any EF-S lenses you have if you ever get a full-frame body in the future

and you:

don't mind not having coverage between 55 and 70mm (not a huge hole, IMO)

I would highly suggest getting the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It has L-series image quality by all accounts I've seen, plus it has the IS you want. It's the only lens that I have on my XSi, and I absolutely love it. If you ever do switch to a full-frame setup, this lens should be able to sell easily.

The 70-200mm f/4 IS is actually the next lens I want to get to have with my 17-55! a great pairing IMO.

Just my 2 cents,

alex
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

First of all, congrats on your 70-200, I have this lens as well and you will be amazed at the images it's capable of producing. You should notice quite a difference in the image quality compared to your 70-300, it's one of the sharpest zooms that you'll ever use. It's true that once you start to use "L" series lenses, it's hard to go back to anything else.

I also had the 17-40 for about 2 years and it served me very well, a nice lens for the price. If your priority is to have a wide angle landscape lens, then the 16-35 or the 17-40 would be very good choices for your XTi, you lose a little on the wide end with the 24-70 but to me, the 24-70 is probably the better walk-around lens since it has a wider range. You mentioned IS on your wish list for your next lens but yet the 3 lenses that you mentioned do not have it--how important is the IS to you?

The 16-35 and the 24-70 are 2.8 lenses, so that will give you an extra stop than the 17-40, so if your going to be hand-holding everything than the extra stop might be useful to you. Unfortunately, IS is a very good thing to have for hand held landscapes since you are not stopping action and the 2-3 stop advantage that IS gives you is greater than the one from f2.8 to f4. I personally use the 24-105 f4 with IS and love that lens as well. I'm going to be upgrading to the 5D II soon so that lens will be adequate for me to do landscapes I think. Otherwise, it's not the widest for a crop camera like the XTi.

One note of caution, I noticed that you used the word "prime" when speaking of your new 70-200 and again when you were,I believe,speaking about the "L" series of lenses. Generally, when you use the word "prime" it refers to a fixed focal length lens like the 50mm 1.4 or the 400 2.8...not trying to be critical--just helpful (even though I think most people on this forum will understand exactly what you mean).

Good luck in your search!

All of the lenses you mentioned are great choices! There alot of great lenses out there for you. It's just up to you to decide which features are the most important for you to have for your type of shooting.

One choice would be the 24-70 f/2.8 L. The 24-70 is a great lens, but also check out the 24-105 f/4 IS. Here is where you make the decision: Do you need the extra stop of light of the 24-70, or will f/4 do it? Since you're doing landscape work, you may not need f/2.8. Perhaps you're shooting at f/8 or f/11 alot of the time for depth-of-field and optimal sharpness. Since you mentioned IS, the 24-105 f/4 IS may be the right lens for you. These two lenses have much better range than the two wide angles (17-40 f/4 and 16-35 f/2.8) that you mentioned, but might not be quite wide enough for some landscapes that you're shooting.

However, if you don't bother an EF-S lens, be sure to check out the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS. This is an amzing
    lens; Image quality is worthy of the L Series Red Stripe. This will get you a bit wider than the two EF zooms, has IS for handholding, and f/2.8 is just great for those evening or early morning shots. Check out the review at this site for more information.

If that doen't get you wide enough, consider the 10-22mm or the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 or even the Tokina 12-24 f/4 (that I use). You won't see what you're missing until you use one of these ultra-wides - They're fantastic. Downside: These lenses would probably require the purchase of a better general purpose zoom, unless you're willing to use your EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6.

Hopefully this can help you out. It would be a good idea to make a list of the features you need in your landscape lens, and then a list of features you want. Think about max. aperture, zoom range, focal lengths, and of course optical and build quality. This should help you make an informed decision.

When I had my Digital Rebel, the 17-40 F4L was my standard walkaround lens. It was excellent for general photography and landscapes. Even though it didn't have IS, it's not as important on a wide zoom than for something like the 70-200. I was able to get some amazing night shots, all handheld with the 17-40. My limit was ISO 800 and shooting wide open at 17mm, I was able to get great shots regularly down to about 1/12 sec. Sometimes, 1/6 but you have to brace yourself and hold your breath.

The 17-40 is also physically very compatible with the Rebel bodies. When installed, they are nicely balanced and are comfortable to shoot. Some of the other lenses you mention are quite a bit bigger and before you buy, you should try to demo it out on a Rebel body to see how you like it for balance and comfort.

I went from the Digital Rebel to 5D and the 17-40 is really nice for sweeping landscapes now.

When you do landscape, it's very crucial that you have a TRIPOD. When you stop down for more depth of field, your shutter speed decreases.

The telephoto L lenses make a lot of sense for crop cameras: you get what you pay for.

But normal and wide angle L lenses do not make sense for crop cameras. Compared to the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, they cost more, have no wide angle, have lower quality, slower aperture, heavier weight, and/or no I.S. But they do have better build quality.
    • 16-35 f/2.8 II: not as much zoom, no IS, expensive, image quality not as good as 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Better build.
    • 17-40 f/4: not as much zoom, no IS, half the aperture, image quality not as good. Cheaper and better build.
    • 24-105 f/4 IS: no wide angle, half the aperture, image quality not as good. Longer telephoto reach and better build.
    • 24-70 f/2.8: no wide angle, image quality not as good. Better build.

All those lenses are great on a full frame camera, but on a crop much of the advantage is lost. If you upgrade to full frame some day, you can keep your EF-S lenses as a backup body or for telephoto reach. Since they cost one-third the price of full frame, it's much cheaper to stay with the small sensor system if you can. (Not to mention much higher competition, more frequent body upgrades, etc.)

The 17-55 f/2.8 is "L" image quality, it just doesn't have build quality to match.

you've sold me.

Well, you would have sold me, if I were starting lens purchases over, I didn't have a full frame camera, and I had some money to spend.

But, other than that, :yup! I'd get one!

Heck, if I had extra cash, i'd get one for the 30d so I'd have something to leave in the car for those "Dammit, i wish I had my camera" moments.

24-70 2.8 for sure you wont regret it.

For landscapes ,if you go for the 17-40 f4 L, the IQ is excellent in daylight and on a crop body it also will make a very good general purpose walk around. On a FF, It will absolutly be wide enough, just watchout to keep your toes out of the shot! I have both a 30D and a 5D and use it on both. The 17-40 will cost a lot less, and unless you are going to shoot in low light, f4 willbe fine. For landscape you will probably stop to f8 or f11 anyway.