Thread: Ice Storm

Ice Storm

Deleting old posts
    Last edited by jrw; 03-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Do you have power back? How about everyone else? I haven't heard too much about the storm, but I've also been in a bit of a hole lately with travel and work.

Our big ice storm was in 2008. Something like 310,000 people in New Hampshire without power, ~1.3 million in the northeastern US. I was without power for 6 days. I bought a generator on Day 2, had it up and going by Day 3. Turns out we loose power here all the time. I've probably used the generator 12-15 times since.

Great shots! In 2008, I thought my wife was going to rupture something when, after making sure the house was ok, and moving a car before a tree fell on it, I grab my camera (at the time a P&S) and snapped a few shots.

We didn't get much this time, fortunately. Good luck to those affected!

Here's one from our Dec, 2012 ice storm.

Name:  Icy Rose.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  87.8 KB

EOS 1D X, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 1/8 s, f/7.1, ISO 1600

My parents live in Northern Vermont, Franklin County. Lost power Sunday morning and are still waiting for the linemen to come and repair the power lines that weave through the mountains. Thankfully, they have a small (el cheapo) generator that they can power the heating system, the refrigerator and the coffee pot. My creative father has 'stolen' gasoline for the generator from almost anything on the property as they could not drive up their own driveway with a four wheel drive pickup with four studded snow tires until yesterday (entire driveway was a sheet of ice and covered with downed trees). They have been flushing the toilets with buckets of melted snow for the last few days (well water, generator is not large enough to power the well). We are supposed to visit in a few days, can't wait to see my parents but praying they get power today or tomorrow. Believe it or not, they retired to VT in 2006, this is the first time they used the generator since living there.
    Scott

Just got good news power is back on to the house and most of the surrounding area. Looks like we wont have to rough it after all.
    Scott