Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monitors and "Ultra" 4k TVs - two many circles in my head

So it has almost been 2 months since you started this thread. Dare I ask what you have narrowed it down to? I fear that you are crossing the line that separates looking into it from anguishing over the details. Does the patient require a prescription of rum based beverages to help ease the pain?

One other thought that did occur to me today was that maybe the Wacom Cintiq 27QHD Touch just might be pretty much everything you are looking for in a display, and then some. Using the Intuos Pro for a while now has most definitely changed my editing experience. Combining the pen and touch into a display just might be the next step. Just not sure how much time you spend using brushes in editing so not sure if it would be of interest to you. Quick summary of specs: 10 bits, 2560x1440, 97% Adobe RGB, Pro Pen. Not too scarily priced compared to some other monitors $1800 on amazon.

Getting there - NEC and ASUS just announced new monitors in the $1,500 USD range.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Good to hear that you haven't fallen down the rabbit hole and wound up circling around in spec land. Have trained family members to spot the signs so they know when to cuff me in order bring me back.

Almost made a decision Actually have been so busy, haven't had time to fiddle w/ the new set up.

It strikes me that the mid/higher end Sony, LG, and Samsung 4k TVs are 10 bit 4k displays. I am not going to be flipping back and forth between color spaces - RGB to CMYK, etc - ding ding ding - why not pick of the JS8500 55" 4k which is selling for US $1,500 - and when I am not doing photo it is a pretty decent 4k TV???

what am I missing?

I get that I would have to find the most neutral TV color adjustment and then do a color calibration.

Thoughts?

The initial TV setting might be worth experimenting with a bit. Some of the monitors I have used since I started calibrating have had preset options to choose from. I learned from playing with multiple calibrations on one, it was a real crappy day outside and I was getting restless, that it pays to check them all as it was an otherwise overly saturated setting that yielded the widest gamut coverage.

So a combination of this thread and seeing a reference (near the bottom) that emphasized monitors sent me on a goose chase last night as I had some time to kill. Plus, when I did David's test (here), a few issues popped up on my monitor. Probably not bad for an affordable monitor from 2011

A few websites I found that were interesting:

http://thedigitalcamera.net/best-mon...d-photography/
    http://www.144hzmonitors.com/photo-e...de-march-2016/ (already referenced by David but still interesting)
    http://thetechplanet.net/best-monito...photo-editing/
    http://pc4u.org/best-monitor-for-pho...d-photography/

At least that helped give me some perspective as to what is out there and I should be looking at.

Not saying the idea of a TV isn't a good one. Wouldn't work for me as I edit photos in my office and there isn't room.

Thanks, for the insight - oddly the price on the Samsung JS8500 jumped $500 - they must have made a mistake or got rid of their surplus. then again the new Sony looks interesting

So, I bought the Samsung JS8500 55" 4k TV - it is a 10 bit display and arrived today at 3 pm. $1,400 USD - worst case scenario is that it becomes our new TV vs. the dying vizio 2k from 6 years ago. I don't need to see 2 color spaces, etc, etc that a "real graphics monitor" can provide.

It is right 6' from my nose, and fills my eyeglasses except the outer 10% on each side.

Have dialed down the contrast, saturation still I know there will be a real calibration effort in my near future.

I have to say the big screen, high res, extremely reduced, perhaps eliminated banding so far has been a blast.

What this does do is up the ante on the screen for the living room. I don't do prints and hang them on the wall (though I still pondering a big pano for a wall...). It (the big screen in the living room) will be the primary way I enjoy my pics, and now that I have seen them this large/resolved/colored, etc.....

I think this pretty much closes off this thread.

Thanks to all for your help.

Ok not quote finished. There a lot of shots I passed over looking at then in small form that are now really interesting in large form.

Yep TV for the living room is going to be big.