Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
For a total eclipse, I'm pretty fussy about going to where the odds of clear skies are the absolute best. So for that reason it has to be Mexico. For much of the eclipse track through the US, the odds of clear skies are maybe about 50/50. Of course, my chosen spot could still end up cloudy. It happened to me in Hawaii in 1991 (my first eclipse attempt), and I was seriously choked. But I've had three successful ones since then (India, Turkey, Idaho), and I'm hoping to keep the streak going
Idaho had to much smoke where we were.
Then the drive back to the cabin in West Yellowstone took a long time. Idaho was not prepared for the traffic.
I actually went off-road on trails to get to very high spot on top of a mountain. We had a successful eclipse view but the low hanging smoke was annoying.

April in Oklahoma is about a 50/50. Usually that time of year is stormy rather than overcast. Storms go through in the late afternoon.

If I had to travel at all I would be doing the same thing you are, being in my home state I want to take the chance. Also if I were traveling I would probably be getting good insurance on my gear, some Mexican drug lord would love to have a nice big lens.