I just saw a link to a video about "only having 5..." which made me think, if I could only have 5 lenses, in order, what would they be (all based on FF sensor:

1. 24-70 f/2.8. This is my all around, always on my camera lens. I can and do use it for landscape, travel, and portrait photography. Every year I have looked, this lens accounts for 30-50% of my images kept.
  2. 500 f/4. So much fun. The quality, the bokeh, the detail. I love shooting with this lens. It also opens up types of photography that would be difficult otherwise.
  3. 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 (or 100-500L). BIF, landscape (yes...love shooting landscapes with a telephoto), wildlife, and travel photography...great lens. I am happy shooting with this lens...I love shooting with the 500, hence the placement on the list.
  4. 50 f/1.4. I almost went 85 f/1.4 or 70-200 f/2.8. But I love the 50 mm focal length. I just shot a couple of family/sr portrait sessions and mostly used my 50. Great results, great bokeh. Close to what the human eye sees. Love it.
  5. 16-35 f/4. This final spot was tough. But, when you need wide for a landscape....you need wide. I still shoot the EF 16-35 f/4 IS. Great lens. Beautifully sharp. It is usually with me when I travel, although I only use it occasionally. This almost ended up as an honorable mention, but when you need wider than 24 mm for something with movement like a waterfall.....

Honorable mentions:
  • 100 mm macro. Love that lens, use it for portraits and macro. I just do not shoot enough macro to keep it on the list.
  • 85 mm f/1.4. I picked one up a few years ago and use it a lot for portraits and even indoor photography. Amazing lens. But, recently, I've preferred the 50 1.4, even for portraits. This is probably one of my top 5 used lenses.
  • 70-200 f/2.8. It is funny, in some instances, if I was to have a two lens kit, I might include this lens. It is a great focal length, very versatile. The EF version takes adapters if you want more reach. But, as I added the 85 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.4 to my kit, I have used this lens less. I mostly use it at indoor family events now. Still amazing. I did use it for Sr. portraits I took in October. But, in the end, I even preferred the results from the two primes.

Thankfully, I am not limited to 5 lenses ;-)