Thread: Anyone using an R8?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I understand, buying cheap then upgrading would cost more. That's why I'm trying to get a feeling of whether I'd actually miss anything from the R6m2.

The AF is supposedly the same between R6m2 and R8. The sensor/noise the same. The pre-burst option if we're looking for new features, the same, in fact, the R8 may have a faster burst speed.

I never use two cards at once, so one card slot is not a concern.
    I don't really do video, so the loss of an option there isn't a concern.
    The 30min/2hr recording time isn't a concern. Who shoots a feature length movie in one shot?
    I've never bought a grip, so the lack of a grip option isn't a concern.

My hands aren't huge, so the smaller body is not a major concern.
    I tend to do action or wildlife over low-light landscape and portrait work. I'll already need a decent shutter speed, so lack of IBIS isn't a major concern.

The smaller battery is a minor concern.
    The smaller view finder will be annoying, but, I expect, livable. It's the same size on the R7 too... minor concern I'd say.
    The electronic first curtain burst speed of just 6 is a minor concern. It seems a bit low.

The loss of a wheel and other button layout choices is a concern, which someone familiar with a more capable camera can comment on.
    The lack of shutter leading to rolling shutter jello effect is a concern. The reviews that show this... is that in normal shooting or panning the camera like a madman to exaggerate the effect?
    The lack of shutter protecting the sensor is a concern.

So, there aren't really any R6m2 features I'm looking to gain (that I'm aware of) other than a shutter, a control wheel. A nicer viewfinder, burst, and battery life are secondary desires I'd like but could live without. The question is whether these deficiencies are biggies or not. If not, I'd rather save money for glass. I have a hard time thinking those features are worth an extra ~CAD$1300, but that's what it would take to get them.

Maybe I order a used 5DIV instead. Still get full frame, familiar controls, and a shutter. Or is mirrorless just that much better?
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 08-30-2023 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Used 1DX2 is as much as a R6m2, so bad alternate option!
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L