Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

I wouldn't think it's exactly wise to not do what might be the best just because of a model number. I'm not the ones to insist that the 1D IV must be FF, but if it remains in 1.3x, I'd like to hear a better reason than matching the model number. In my humble opinion, the benefit of a FF sensor should at least be able to make up what we lose from the APS-H.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Again, my point is not about what Canon will release next. My point is about what they will CALL it. Those are two entirely different things. Of course it would not be wise to allow a model number to dictate what features a camera should have, but that was not what I implied and I said as much. And it would be equally unwise to do what Nikon has done to its lineup and make a complete mess of its nomenclature. The D300 is "DX" format but the D700 is 35mm. What's going to happen when these bodies go through a few more revisions? Even worse, the D60 is entry level but the D90 is mid-range? Then they threw in the D5000 and now all hell breaks loose because nobody can figure out from the model numbers which model is supposed to be newer. At least with the Canon lineup everything makes sense. Their 3- and 4-digit series are the entry level bodies, the 2-digit series is the mid-range, and the 1-digit series are the high-end, which is further split out into the 1D(s) series which is the "pro" level. Furthermore the model number tells you what format the sensor is.

I reiterate my statement that if Canon will produce a 16MP 35mm sensor body, it should be given a new series name to distinguish it from the existing lineup. Perhaps we won't have a 1D-series any more, but it will be replaced by something else. I don't know. And it may seem like splitting hairs but I look at what Nikon has done and it's just confusing as hell, and I would really, really hate for Canon to do the same. (Nikon bodies and lenses are ugly too but that's my personal bias).

Nikon is successful because their bodies have better noise performance, superior AF, and better FPS. Canon is successful because their lens lineup ROCKS and they are often the innovators in the field. These are two different companies with two different visions of how to make cameras. It's not reasonable to say that one has to match or play catch-up to what the other is doing because they have inherently different methods as to how to go about making good cameras. And that's why I am puzzled by your insistence on this particular issue. If you are unhappy then switch systems.