I realize that this isn't an apples to apples comparison but never the less these are two tripods that I am considering:

Manfrotto 055XPROB

FEISOL CT-3342

I am looking for a general use tripod. It will be used for macro, landscapes, wildlife and portraiture. The biggest lens I plan on mounting on it will be the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS.

Two things I like about the Manfrotto are its price (~$180) and center column which can be swung to the horizontal position. I think this would be extremely useful for macro work. One thing that concerns me about this tripod is the weight (5 lbs). Manfrotto makes a carbon version of this tripod but it's only 1 lb lighter so I don't think it's worth the additional ~$200 in price.

Two things I like about the FEISOL are its weight (2.27 lbs) and it does not have a center column (more stable).

At ~$300 the FEISOL is at the top of my budget since I still need to purchase a ball head to go with it. To pair with the Manfrotto I was thinking of the Manfrotto 488RC2 and for the FEISOL the FEISOL CB-50D.

I am certainly open to other suggestions. These are just two tripods that I have heard/read about and that I thought would satisfy my needs.

One more note. Weight is not my 1st concern since I don't do a lot of hiking or traveling. Most of the time I use a tripod I probably won't be lugging it too far but lets be honest, lighter is usually better []