Recently, I have become obsessed with trying to shoot humming birds (with a camera of course). During this process I have realized several things, but...Unfortunately they haven't led to any National Geographic quality shots.

Lesson One: with a 50D and a 100-400 (Set at 400) at Minimum focus distance--the bird still only fills about 1/3 the frame.

Lesson Two: Shutter speed sync set at 250 with a 580 exII flash is still way to slow to freeze motion-----Don't fret----Flash still works great at shutter speed 2500 at this distance (about 7 feet)---I didn't know this until I tried.

Lesson Three: I don't care how fast your camera focuses---its not fast enough unless you preset focus---then pray the bird moves into focus.

Lesson Four: Don't bother with high frame rates-----its kinda like a machine gun---If you don't get em with the first shot, the rest are wasted bullets.

Lesson Five: Humming birds tolerate big cameras, Fat guys on Ladders and will even eat from your hand----But they don't like the flash. Each time the flash goes off, I am stuck on the ladder for another 5 minutes waiting for the birds to return.

Lesson Six: This time of year (August) the flowers are gone and the birds are hungry. In May, I may have 3 or 4 birds around the feeder---in August, that number has grown to 20 or moreand they are still hard to shoot.

Lesson Seven: Don't bother with meters---go manual and experiment---start with shooting the feeder at high shutter speeds and flash, then get the background right. Finally, the flash seems to catch the bird---but you may have to set the flash at +1 or +2.

Lesson Eight: My wife said I wouldn't give out her Bird (feeder) recipe, But I am telling you----it works very well--when she is not looking over my shoulder---I'll talk.

OK, this is what I have learned about shooting humming birds---Any suggestions or experiences from the rest of you on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob