Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I've used the 5DII and 1DIIN, and it seems to me that the 1DIIN focuses faster on a moving target and is more responsive (perhaps just shutter lag). However, I have not noticed that the 5DII focuses less accurately, and seems to work in lower light.

One thing: the further away the subjects are, the greater the DOF and the less quickly focus has to change as the subjects move. So it might be that sports photography with long lenses is actually less demanding on autofocus speed than taking pictures of say, a kid 10 feet away who is running around or on a swing.

When I first got the 5DII I thought I would still use the 1DIIN a lot in situations when speed and focus accuracy were important. Turns out, I use the 5DII almost exclusively.

Very nice pic by the way. I'm just glad I don't do sports photography, because if I did the tension between lust for the 400 f/2.8 and the $7000 would be very painful.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree completely. My 1DMKII is sitting quietly on a shelf wondering why it doesn't go out to play as often.