The new PocketWizard products (MiniTT1 and FlexTT5) and the RadioPoppers support E-TTL II. The older PocketWizard Plus II and Multimax and the RadioPopper JrX do not use TTL in any form. They are remote triggers that work with any camera with a hot shoe or PC connector, any flash or strobe (you may need a hot shoe if the flash doesn't have , studio lights, etc. In a simple sense, they are the wireless equivalent of a network of cords connecting the flashes to the camera. (Some pros and some studio lights use "household" connectors and regular household extension cords.) So, the two sorts of products are really quite different.

Which you "should" buy will depend upon your own uses and criteria. If you want long range and reliability and E-TTL compatibility, the RadioPoppers are probably best. You'll also need one more flash or the ST-E2 to act as the source for the RadioPopper transmitter, so the cost will be higher. That extra cost may be partially mitigated by the cost of a shield for the PocketWizard units. If the range you need isn't as long (how many people put the off-camera flash 150 ft from the camera?), the extra capability, flexibility and lower cost of the PW system may be attractive, as long as they work reliably in your situation.

It will also depend upon what sort of set up you will use. It sounds like you are considering two off-camera flashes with no flash on the camera, as you mentioned two 580EX II's and a ST-E2. In the cost estimates below, that's what I've used. However, there are other possible setups, like one on-camera flash and one remote/slave flash. You can use a Canon 430EX II as a slave (not as a master), for $150 less than the 580EX II.

Here are some example costs for using two off-camera flashes, using B&H and RadioPopper prices. I don't include batteries or shipping, as that can vary a lot. You can easily figure other options. I don't include the cost of lightstands, umbrellas, umbrella brackets/swivels, cables, etc., that you will also need, depending upon the situation. (They can really add up--see below.) Be prepared for a major cost shock.

RadioPopper PX system:
  • 2 Canon 580EX II: $420 x 2 = $840
  • ST-E2: $220
  • RadioPopper Transmitter: $249 (currently out of stock)
  • RadioPopper Receivers (2): $249 x 2 = $498
  • Total: $1807 (a bit outside the budget of a starving student!)
  • Option A: Could use another 580EX II as the master: total = $2007
  • Option B: Use 430EX II slaves ($270): total = $1507 with ST-E2, $1707 with 580EX II as master
  • Option C: Use one 430EX II slave, one 580EX II slave, plus ST-E2: $1657

You can figure other options. You can't use a 430EX II as the master flash--it can be used only as a slave.

PocketWizard E-TTL-compatible:

• ST-E2: Not needed

• MiniTT1 Transmitter: $199

• FlexTT5 Transceivers (2): $219 x 2 = $438
  • Total: $1477 (less, but still outside the starving student budget.)
  • Option B: use 430EX II remote flashes (both): $1177
  • Option C: use one 580EX II and one 430EX II: $1327

The main difference in price is the need to have a flash or commander on the camera with the RadioPoppers. That adds $220 for the ST-E2 or $420 for a 580EX II. The cost difference would be reduced if you end up having to use a shield with the PocketWizard system.

All those options are quite expensive. They might be worth the cost, though, if you really need the E-TTL capability. The big question, though, is whether you need E-TTL. It's very expensive. Do you want to spend that PLUS the cost of stands, etc.? It could easily add up to over $2000 with the RadioPoppers. I'd think that one would have to be very serious, indeed, about the benefits of E-TTL flash to spend that much.

If you're using a fairly static setup, you can easily use the flashes in manual mode. E-TTL can actually get in the way, especially if you keep the lights fixed but move the camera around. For example, if you move the camera to an angle to show more shadow on the subject, the E-TTL II system will try to lighten the shadow, even if you want the shadow to remain as it was. You can use a simple adjustable flash (non-TTL) as one or both remotes, as well as the more sophisticated Canon flashes. Examples are the Vivitar 285HV (which I use), $90 at B&H, and the more capable LumpPro LP120, $130 at Midwest Photo Exchange. You'd want to have one 580EX II for on-camera (or bracket) E-TTL use. The disadvantage would be that you can't use the 285HV or LP120 in an E-TTL wireless system. If you want to be able to use one flash on the camera as a master and one slave, you could use 2 x 580EX II's or a 580EX II and a 430EX II--or find the older 580EX and 430EX used on eBay.

You could then use either the RadioPopper JrX system or the PocketWizard Plus II transceivers. I haven't seen a comparison of them re: capabilities like range. In other features, they seem pretty much equal for ordinary use, though the PW Plus II transceivers can act as relays, triggering a camera, then sending the flash signal, as I mentioned above. You can trigger a camera with the JrX receiver with the right cable (probably identical to the PW cables), but you'd need an extra receiver. Still, the cost of a JrX transmitter and receiver is $50 less than the cost of one PocketWizard Plus II transceiver!

About cables: the JrX comes with a miniphone-to-sub-miniphone
(2.5mm) cable plus miniphone (3.5mm) and 1/4" plugs. Those will work
well with many studio strobes, but NOT with the 580EX II, which has a
PC connection. You'll need a miniphone-to-PC cable
($18 @ B&H) for each 580EX II. If you use the 430EX II, 285HV or the older Canon 580EX, you
can use a miniphone-to-hot-shoe cable ($30 @ B&H) or buy a cheap hot shoe with a
PC connection and a miniphone-to-PC cable. The LumoPro LP120 has a miniphone connection as well as
PC & hot shoe, so it works with almost anything. You may find cheaper cables from other sources, especially on eBay.

RadioPopper JrX remote triggers:

• Jr X Transmitter + receiver: $119

• JrX receiver: $69
  • Miniphone-to-PC cables: 2 x $18
  • Total: $1064
  • Option B: use 430EX II remote flashes (both), with 2 hot shoe cables @ $30: $788
  • Option C: use one 580EX II and one 430EX II with appropriate cables: $926 (still able to have a 2-flash wireless network)
  • Option D: use a Vivitar 285HV as one remote (need the 580EX II for general on-camera use): $746
  • Option E: use a LumoPro LP120 as one remote: $746 (flash is more expensive, but you don't need the extra cable/hot shoe)

PocketWizard remote triggers (using PW Plus II):

• Plus II Transceivers (3): $169 x 3 = $508 (no extra cables needed)
  • Total: $1348
  • Option B: use 430EX II remote flashes (both), with 2 hot shoe cables: $1108
  • Option C: use one 580EX II and one 430EX II, with one hot shoe cable: $1228
  • Option D: use a Vivitar 285HV as one remote (need the 580EX II for general on-camera use): $1048

• Option E: use a LumoPro LP120 as one remote: $1048

If you don't need the range of the PocketWizard Plus II or RadioPopper JrX (whatever that is), you might use the Cactus triggers from Midwest Photo Exchange--$37 for the transmitter & receiver with decent batteries and $25 for an extra receiver with good battery. You don't NEED extra cables with the Cactus V2s receivers, as they have a hot shoe on top, but it's a precarious situation. I'd prefer to use the proper cables (e.g., PC-to-PC or PC-to-hot-shoe), but left them out of the following.

Cactus V2s remote triggers from Midwest Photo Exchange:

• One set of transmitter & receiver: $37
  • Additional receiver: $25
  • Total: $902 (no extra cables needed)
  • Option B: use 430EX II remote flashes (both): $602
  • Option C: use one 580EX II and one 430EX II: $752
  • Option D: use a Vivitar 285HV as one remote (need the 580EX II for general on-camera use): $572

• Option E: use a LumoPro LP120 as one remote: $602

Again, that does NOT include the other stuff you'll need--lightstands, umbrellas, swivels/brackets, etc. Midwest Photo Exchange has several package deals that variously include lightstands, triggers (PocketWizard or Cactus), umbrellas, swivels, cases, and flashes, plus other useful doodads. Their "Starving Student" package with Cactus triggers and LP120 flashes plus all the other gear is $450. For me, that plus a 580EX II (total $870) would be a great way to go, as you'd get all the basic stuff you'd need. Later, you can move up to the JrX or PocketWizard Plus II triggers for the greater range/reliability or even the RadioPopper PX or PocketWizard TTL systems.

I built my own system piece-by-piece, much of it from eBay. Below is what I spent for a minimalist 2-flash system. (The costs include shipping.)
  • 580EX (used): $285
  • Used 285HV: $71
  • Chinese triggers (transmitter + receiver set @ $24 + extra receiver @ 17): $41
  • Hot shoes with cables (PC-to-PC), 2 @ $8.50 = $17
  • Total to compare to above: $414

Then, add in the other stuff for a "strobist" system of 2 matched off-camera flashes plus the 580EX for on-camera E-TTL:
  • Additional used 285HV: $64
  • Lightstands: $58 (included reflector boom & holder plus a case) + $45 (Giottos from B&H) = $103
  • Umbrellas (2 white satin collapsible @ $21, 2 silver @ $29): $100
  • Umbrella swivels (2 @ $15 from B&H): $30
  • Total: $711

I spent more on lightstands because I needed heavy-duty stands, rather than lightweight, compact stands, to use outdoors. The lightweight stands can easily blow over, or, even if you weight them down, be damaged by the wind catching a nearly 3-ft wide umbrella. If they go over, it may be goodbye flash and/or PocketWizard.

Later, I moved to the PocketWizard Plus II system. I got 3 transceivers on eBay for a total of $417.

There are all sorts of gadgets one can add to the basic system--ball bungees, brackets or caddies for attaching the PW triggers to a lightstand, longer cables, various types of cold and hot shoes (one can use a cold shoe--no electrical connection--if the flash has an external connection), "motor drive" cables to connect the PW triggers to the camera's remote trigger connection, plus a bewildering array of flash modifiers--umbrellas, soft boxes, reflectors, gels, etc.

If you get really serious, you can invest a small fortune in external battery packs that will cycle the flash(es) more quickly and allow more shots. (It's easy to overheat the flash if you use full power shots in rapid succession, however.) Quantum Turbo batteries cost $389 each at B&H, plus you'll need cables for your particular flashes ($28-54 each, depending upon flash & manufacturer). I got two used Turbo batteries plus cables for the 580EX and both 285HVs for a total of $422 on eBay. A cheaper option with the Canon 580EX II is the Canon CP-E4 battery pack, $150 at B&H. (You can get cheaper battery packs on eBay, as well.) It doesn't cycle as fast or last as long as the Turbo batteries, but, with rechargeable NiMH AAs, it's a lot cheaper and lighter (1 lb vs 2.5+ lb). The cost and weight can add up, fast.