I just wrapped up my first legit senior pictures shoot with a friend last friday. A weeks worth of editing later, and she has 28 images to choose from. Thought I'd make them accessible here for you all to peruse through too. (And it's okay cause she signed a model release letting me use them for advertising/whatever).

Rookie mistake: Friday night. The night before my first big senior pictures shoot. I just recently purchased an off camera strobe kit from MPEX. I've been practicing all week leading up to the shoot. I've been reading the Strobist blog. Printing out sections of Lighting 101 and Lighting 102. Reading all about 45 degree angles, umbrellas, shadows, etc. I spend at least half an hour making DIY bounce cards, cutting and velcro-ing gels to use, and all that good stuff. Friday night, 1:00am: I pack up all my stuff. Batteries are charged, lenses are clean, CF card is clear, and even though I only have one flash, I take two light stands, two umbrellas, and two Cactus receivers (just in case anything should break). Saturday morning: I drive an hour away from home on un familiar back roads to meet my friend (client) at some old horse ranch where she rides. I get there, unpack and start setting up my stuff. Strobist information runs through my head. "Balance the flash vs ambient light. Underexpose by two stops and adjsut the flash to bring up the light. Light the short side of the face to slim the face down some." I check my camera bag. No flash. I check my light bag. No flash. I panic. I call my mom at home and she finds my flash. Sitting on the counter.. So we shot natural light haha. (I don't know why on earth I wrote that out like some dramatic screenplay. It's noon and I just woke up so bear with haha).

Here are four if you don't want to make the jump to the set, here. (There should be seven more, but they mustn't have uploaded to flickr. They're on my external though. I'll update the set soon

Like always, I love to get feedback, good or bad. Don't hold back, and never worry about being to harsh haha. This is how we grow as photographers. Thanks! -Rodger (Check the flickr page for EXIF data) All edited with Adobe LR2. The Soften skin brush is absolutely wonderful!