Hey everybody...

I've got a shoot coming up this Friday at a non-profit organization's fundraising event. It's a gala dinner, featuring food, speakers, art, silent auctions anda professional instrumental group.

I'll be shooting mainly people - The speakers, donators (to the organization), executivesand performers. I'm looking to capture the mood of the event and the guests' reactions. I'm thinking of a photojournalistic approach, with some environmentaland candidportraits of the guests.

The images will be used mainly to promote the organization, a non-profit nursing home.This will be done through their websiteand in print.

I know the venue to be typically light challenged, and I don't like using flash during speeches or special ceremonies.I plan to use bounce flash for some of the shots and ambient for the others.

I've had some real trouble getting tightly framed captures of speakers at poorly-lit venues in the past with f/5.6 at the long end of the 55-250 IS, even with flash. At CAN $40, I can rent a 70-200 2.8 IS for the weekend and also use it at a shoot the morning following the event. Opinions?

I would appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer regarding the shoot or the gear I'll be using to cover the event.

Thanks in advance.

-Alex