So I'm looking to finally get my flash off camera. I think I'm ready. I'd like to start out basic and portability is really key. I briefly considered some monolights (Calumet Genesis), but I realized that I wouldn't be able to lug them around. And I don't have my own studio space. I like to shoot outdoors but want better control of lighting.

This is what I'm thinking to use so far. I already have some cheap stands, so I pretty much patterned things off of Bryan's setup--get the Manfrotto swivel umbrella adapter + Stroboframe hot shoe adapter + Photogenics 60" umbrella (or something a bit smaller, depending). Add some sandbags for stability, and a reflector. Presently I have only one 430EX II but may get a second depending on budget.

The question I'm faced with is this: Which wireless flash trigger is best for my purposes? Let's suppose I want to do remote triggering and/or self-portraits, with or without a flash. What will I need? I don't necessarily need/want ETTL. I'm mainly looking for reliability, portability, and reasonably low cost. I've heard things like RF interference with PWs on the 5D2.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! []