I own 5D Mk II and some L lenses, recentlly just bought 1D Mk III for all kind action shots. As I know currentlly lots discount in new 1D Mk III, because of new version may release soon this year or next year, therefore I think its good time to get one. I am not Pro therefore I don't need super new version 1D Mk 4, and no point for me to spend lots money for new 1D Mk 4 body~

I used to own 500D which I found image/high ISO quality similar to 50D (from all kind of reviews etc...). And before I decide to buy 1D Mk III I actually compare lots reviews between 1D, 1Ds, 5D, 50D, 500D and 7D for image.high ISO quality, then I found high ISO quality in 1D Mk III should be better than 7D, 50D and 500D. But for image details (large print especially) 7D will be the best, and the question will be do you need it?

I shot slow moving objects by using 5D Mk II and for fast moving object 5D Mk II just too slow. For me 1D Mk III all about SPEED ! which I love it :P and ya you can use it in any kind of weather !!

So for any event I will carry both cameras, 5D Mk II attached 16-35mm L f2.8 USM II and 1D Mk III attached with 70-200mm L f2.8 IS USM etc....

My 2c~