Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan

I don't accuse (has my item specific problems ?)
Or are they really cheating us with that kind of stuff ?

If I buy a 400$ lens, I want something for my 400$. Not the bottom of a water bottle with stabilizer.

What's more is Canon reply to my mail, that (almost) said "back to the doghouse, amateur, you wanted s***, you got it. Buy L at 1200$ if your want your picts to be sharp". Incredible. Any sales rep would collapse when hearing this.

I think I know why Brian hasn't made the review yet. And he's right.

Canon didn't even managed to do better than it's previous poor plastic lens.

Yes, it's clear I bought it too fast. I waited for the DP review but ... nothing.

And maybe I'm mainly angry against me for that move and my trust in Canon.

The funny thing is that, (if and) when this lens a a bad reputation, no way to resell it at a decent price.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

With all due respect, I understand that you are dissatisfied with the copy of the lens you received and you are expressing that in your posts. However, I also think you are reading far too much into the situation, implying things about specifically named people that are not necessarily true, and you have not taken the appropriate measures to resolve the matter rationally.

First, it is entirely likely that you received a bad copy, if in fact you cannot obtain a sharp image at any f-number. Production errors do occur and it is impossible and unreasonable to expect perfection. If you watch the video of Canon's lens production process*, you would quickly develop an appreciation for the precision, effort, and cost of camera lens manufacturing. Your first step upon receiving a possibly flawed copy is to send it to Canon to have it checked. If you call up a customer representative to complain, they can't see what you see. They have absolutely no idea what you consider to be "sharp" or "acceptable performance." If they respond by suggesting you purchase L glass, that is not because they think poorly of you, or that you are one of the unwashed masses. It is because they don't know what you saw when you tested the lens and are going off of what you are telling them, and moreover, they don't know what your expectations are. Of course then, the recommendation to buy L glass will come up, as then it is the best possible optics Canon can offer you.

Second, if you did receive a bad copy, it is premature to think that it reflects poorly upon the entire quality control process. If the process has a defect rate of 1 in 10,000 (i.e., 99.99% success rate), there would still be those few unlucky consumers. I'm not saying the defect rate on the EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS is actually that low, but the principle is the same. For every consumer who gets a bad copy there are many, many times more that do not.

Third, I am uncomfortable with your suggestion that Bryan has not published a review of this lens because it is of poor quality. For what it's worth, the test chart results are available, and furthermore, the EF 100/2.8L macro IS, which was also announced and released on the same dates, is also yet to be reviewed.

Finally, I sincerely hope you get this matter resolved amicably and to your satisfaction by working with Canon so that they will supply you with a good copy. If what they certify as good is not up to your standards, then perhaps you will need to use a different lens or system. In the meantime, it does very little good to express your frustration to those of us who cannot see the results of your tests and have no way to directly help you with your situation. Best of luck.

*Here is the video, in 3 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWsk9rXpcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7BDeMU_Ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkAWZTwqI4