Quote Originally Posted by JeffBP23

I say I want to do portraits but I have antisocial tendencies and become too insecure to photograph other people sometimes unless I really hype myself. Part of that insecurity links back to not being comfortable with the technical aspects. I don't want to make somebody wait while I twiddle my thumbs, how embarrassing! Hopefully that changes after I go through some books and self-training. I'll keep the suggested primes in mind when I go out on shooting trips. A fast prime sounds very tempting but I only have enough for one more...

Another Bryan Peterson book?! I'll look into that book. Thanks for the suggestion.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I primarily shoot portraits and my subjects frequently wait while I fiddle with my equipment (yes, I know how that sounds). By fiddling, you're experimenting, and by experimenting, you're getting better. And if you're getting better, it means your subjects are getting better pictures. So they can just wait...

Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Try different styles. One nice thing about a prime is that it forces you to use one focal length--and that constraint often engenders creativity rather than supressing it. However, I'm quite lazy and like my zooms. I typically only use a prime if I need the extra wide aperture because of a lack of ambient light.