Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
Are you saying telescopes do worse close up because they are optimized to image at infinity, or that they'll do worse even when taking pictures of far away stuff?

Thanks for the reply, Jon. I could be wrong; I haven't done much evaluation of refractors, but I have read a lot of comparisons on Cloudy Nights. I was thinking of up close performance. Sometimes, lenses are even better than telescopes at infinity, but not always.

For far away stuff , it is hard to imagine the 400mm f/5.6 doing better across a 36mm field than, say, a takahashi fsq or "baby q". Am I wrong?

I think the baby q ($3k) will be better at infinity. When I said "Twice the price" that was probably too much exaggeration.

Have you done or do you know of someone who has done these comparisons?

I just read about them every once and a while on Cloudy Nights, but I don't have any links. There was a thread a while back where I said there was no way that a photographic lens could match a telescope (at similar price ranges), because of like two dozen reasons:

<span class="post"]Fast f/numbers are needed, which I understand are more difficult than slow f/numbers.
The flange focal distance is fixed.
(Usually) larger image circles needed
Bokeh
Color balance compared to other lenses in the line.
Length is usually less important in telescopes.
Telescopes are not often handheld, so weight tolerances are lower.
Volume matters more in photographic lenses which must pack for travel.
The lens must focus, and have good travel, control, smoothness, sensitivity
Design for close focus distances and performance at those distances as well as infinity.
Focus shift at various focal ratios is less tolerated than in a telescope.
Lots of mechanical design issues such as aperture diaphram
Compensation for cosine^4 falloff, which I don't think is a big deal in telescopes.
Filter size (very few photo lenses allow rear filters)
Teleconverter compatibility
Aperture Activation Variance
Auto focus motor speed and accuracy
Image Stabilization
Noise from I.S. and Autofocus
Electronic communication with the camrea
Continuously variable aperture ring
Resistance to shock, vibration, impact (IMHO)
Focus marks
Manufacturing delivery schedule, marketability, cost, etc.

I was certain that with so many factors in favor of telescopes that there was no way a lens could be better at infinity. But many people responded to correct me, saying that there is one all-encompassing and overriding advantage: economies of scale.