I just picked up my 7D just a few weeks ago and I'm still going up the learning curve. On my first batch of shots, I thought I noticed softness compared the 5D MkII but that was using a 300 F4L IS with a 1.4X Extender shooting at a moving target about 50 ft away while trying to pan at F/5.6 and 1/1600 sec. Lighting conditions were not that great.

Since then, I 've shot in good lighting conditions with the 24-105F4 IS and shots are just as sharp as anything from the 5D MkII. ISO setting was limited to 400. On another shoot, when pixel peeping, I thought at 1-1, the 7D had a more granular texture than the 5D MkII. Lighting conditions were good and the shots were well exposed.

What I can conclude so far is that in good lighting conditions up to ISO 400 so far, there is not that much difference in the image quality of either camera. I think what the issue on softness is the 7D is more susceptible to camera shake when hand held because of the high density of pixels. You really have to hold the camera still to get good shots. What you suggested in doubling the inverse of the focal length in setting a shutter speed helps butmore effective is to be able tobetter hand hold very still when using a long lens.

Another thing I have noticed is the noticeable improvement in the 7D's AF system. It's not perfect but it nails the focus more often and quicker than the 5D MkII.

So, for the 7D, it has better performing AF but this is off set by more sensitivity to camera shake, especially when using long lenses. The 5D MkII has better image quality and high-ISO performance but its AF isn't that quick when looking for birds and animals. This spring, I'll try to give both a good work out and get a better idea of their strengths. For now, the 7D is great for birds in flight because of the AF and 1.6X extra reach.