Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

It wasn't that I wanted to use the wrong tool, it was being as new to this as I am, I did not realize I was considering the wrong tool for my needs until a number of extremely helpful people explained the differentpurposes for each. I will be saving for a tripod but Ehcalum's experience is paying off because in my opinion the photos posted in his profile are wonderful! Since I am just beginning, I am learning a lot about the gear I need (and don't need)from everyone on this site which is for the professional and the hobbyist like myself.

Denise
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for the props Denise. I wish you best of luck and joy with your photography.

People do not give the monopod enough credit. There are many different ways to hold a monopod, the most use way, just in front of your legs and in the center, is the least stable. I shoot sports, primarily, and wildlife. Freelance, I shoot surfing on a weekly basis in the summer with a 400 2.8 and a 500 F4 using the monopod. A tripod is not the correct tool for use on the beach with surfers, I have never seen anyone on the sidelines in a soccer game or a football game with a tripod and a 400 2.8. I shoot sports, primarily, and wildlife. I'm lucky, I can handhold a 300 f4 or a 70-200 2.8 for hours and with a steady hand, God and years of piano and the french horn gifted me the ability of strong steady hands.

I don't hate tripods, I just prefer the monopod. I have a decent tripod myself, and yes I do use it on occassion. Tripods, even carbon fiber ones will always be bulky in my opinion, and take a bit of time to setup, level. For the record, I depending on the lens, I can hand hold down to 1/5 of a second, without IS (IS is an entirely different rant of mine) [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.72/monopod_5F00_400.jpg[/img]