Quote Originally Posted by Chris White

To directly make a suggestion to you, if you need to stop action in low light and you are going to stay with a 1.6 crop camera, I would go with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. If you are thinking of going full frame and need a wider aperture, then the EF 24-70 f/2.8 is for you. Also, you may want to keep the crop body as a second shooter. I have a 50D and it is better for sports than the 5D as I can shoot more frames/second.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.60/IMG_5F00_0064.JPG[/img]

Canon 50D, EF24-70mm f2.8L USM, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

As you can see, not only would I have a problem with subject movement I am at the end of my comfort zone for ISO. A f/4 would not work here for me. If the 24-70 goes IS, I will probably be in line for one, and sell my non-IS to help fund it.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This photo completely contradicts what you say: for stop-action, and this particular photo, IS is useless. Your shutter speed is fast enough that IS isn't a key benefit. You're already at 1/focal-length for shutter speed. That's not to say that IS wouldn't be helpful for other photographic tasks and situations, but stop-action requires shutter speeds that "override" hand shake.