Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but I've been been a loyal reader of thedigitalpicture.com for about a year now. Here's my dilemma...

I upgraded from a Rebel XT to a 50D about six months ago and overall I've been pretty happy with the results. The increase in resolution and IQ is good but I'm honestly not as impressed as I thought I would be. The 50D has lots of bells and whistles but I really don't use too many of them. Sooo, my question is should I trade my 50D in for a 5D? There is a local guy that is willing to trade a 5D with about 20-25k clicks for my 50D with about 6k clicks plus a few $ on top of that. Here's some more about me which may help you with your response...

Here's my current gear:
  • Canon 17-40L
  • Canon 50mm 1.8
  • Canon 85mm 1.8
  • Canon 70-200mm f4L IS

I mostly shoot still life, portraits, and city life. I've also done a few weddings and I'd love to do more.

I'm leaning towards the 5D for several reasons.
  1. From the results that I've seen, the IQ is noticeably better than the 50D...gotta love that FF
  2. ISO performance above 800 seems to be better on the 5D...this is VERY important to me
  3. Using the same lens, you'll get much better bokeh with the 5D...again, important to me

My hesitations about trading the 50D for the 5D:
  1. 5D has more usage around 20-25K clicks. This was used by a "pro" wedding photographer so I'm expecting it to be in decent shape. I understand these are rated for 100k clicks but the camera is probably about 4 years old at this point. Should I be worried?
  2. It's older technology. The 50D has some nice features that I may use at some point (e.g. 6.5fps) but they aren't THAT important to me right now. I feel a little more "future proof" with the 50D if that makes any sense.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!