Quote Originally Posted by aj1575

I'm not sure why so many people are shooting FF normal zoom on APS-C bodies. To me the range is just not right; 24mm is considered wide on a FF, but on a APS-C it's like a 40mm on a FF which is rather narrow, and to me does not qualify it as a general purpose zoom.

So to me, the 24-105mm is out. If you are considering the 15-85mm f3.5-5.6, you should also look at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 IS. It has a little smaller range, but the bigger aperture, and also a IS. The price is also somewhat lower. I havent seen any reviews, but they should be out soon (maybe also on this page).
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's a good point. I've still been searching for a general purpose lens for my 7d, so thanks for asking this question. Reading all this helps!

I know this lens would not be a great general purpose lens, but I recently shot with my friends 10-22m and it was great, esp since I was taking landscape shots.

As far as general purpose, I'm really leaning towards the 17-55mm. I do plan on renting it soon, so I'll let you know how I liked it,