I'm a novice photographer with a hand-me-down 300D with a kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM that came with it. From what I understand from reading a lot of the posts here on this forum, it would seem to be a better investment in the long haul to purchase a good lens, as opposed to buying a new body and a cheap lens. Although I get that new bodies come out more rapidly and price depreciation is high, I was wondering whether it is worth it to stick with the 300D?

The ISO sensitivity is pretty much crap since ISO400 is already pushing it to the brink of falling off a cliff when it comes to acceptable noise level in indoor situations even to my eye. (I don't like the camera flash since it washes everything out)

The aperture of the kit lens and the lack of IS isn't helping... I was also wondering how the dynamic range of this camera compared to the more recent cameras. I don't own any filters so I have difficult time with exposures : (

Would the gain from say Nifty Fifty or a good external flash be comparable to the high ISO capabilities of a more recent camera?

Thanks!!!

Takahiro