I'll throw in a few more differences, that I think are also important.

The 24-70 is much heavier and bulkier, the difference is significant, especially if you carry the camera hung on your neck for extended periods of time. The camera is much more nose heavy.The 24-70 is also a little sharper than 24-105, at least my copy, but not by much.

The 24-105 is shorter, lighter and more balanced. It has longer zoom range and if you got used to it you will likely miss it in the 24-70. The 24-105 has a little more distortion at the wide range. The lens is also weather sealed,which is a big plus to me.

I have the luxury ofowning both lenses. I love both of them, but for different things.I use the 24-70 mostly for portrait and indoor shooting. The 24-105 goes with mewhen I shoot landscapes. For landscapesonewillrarely need large apertures.When I go hikinglong distances every ounce of kit counts and the 24-105 is the only lens that I take with me.

As far as my usage of each of those zooms goes, the 24-105 is on my5DII 75% of the time and the 24-70 only 25%, but I guess, this only means that I am predominantly an oudoor shooter.[]