Hi everyone,

Here is a time lapse video that i imaged and processed yesterday morning. It is sunrise on the Flatirons above Boulder Colorado. Time lapse is really fun and challenging ; the interplay between movement and stillness over time is fascinating to me.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYL9AbUh-Zw]

The HD version on youtube really shows off the 5d image quality. Strictly speaking though, it is not an HD movie at the source.

The video was made by capturing still images on my 5D using the TC-80N3 intervalometer (on a tripod of course); interval was one second but since i was locking the mirror it was an effective image period of one every two seconds. Was experiencing some flicker on early attempts. After researching a little i found a likely culprit: aperture blade closure variance. It seems that at a given aperture (beyond wide open) the aperture blades close to a specific point within a percentage variance; up to 10%. That doesn't mean much whentaking stills, but can become evident over many images seen in close succession as in time lapse.

For this shoot i decided to try the lens (EF 24-105mm L at 24mm) wide open at 4.0 to avoid blade closure variance. On the other hand i wanted a rather long exposure, 0.4 seconds, which will smooth out the transitions between images. So to stop the scene down a little i used a 0.6 Neutral Density filter. This set up seemed to work pretty well.

A total of 555 images was mashed in quicktime pro to the this video lasting 16 seconds