I've loved photography forever! However, I've only ever considered it a hobby. (Until recently that is.) I'm in college right now, and I have decided to virtually start all over on my degree and major in photography. Once I finally realized that I love it too much not to, I practically had no choice.

I'm super excited to get going on my new classes, but as would be expected I need to have a "good" camera before I even think about registering. While I understand a great deal of photog lingo, I'm not comfortable enough in my knowledge base to pick out a camera without some feedback first.

Being a starving college student I don't have loads of money to toss out on this right now. But I don't want to sacrifice quality. So I've been looking at getting a Cannon XT1i. Or do I save money and get a used XTi or XSi? Do I need something better the and the XT1i? (Clearly I don't know nearly enough about all this fun stuff yet!) What are your thoughts? I'm intending to buy a much better camera later on, but for now I just need a good one that won't let me down and can get me through college and my degree. I'd really appreciate ANY advice!