Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Canon Rebel T1i - $600

Canon Rebel XSi - $430

Keep in mind the XSi is without a lens, and the T1i is with one. The kit lens isn't horrible. I think the bad rep the 18-55mm gets is from the older versions of the lens. While a nice constant lower aperture lens would be nice, this lens has decent image quality, image stabilization w/ auto mode 2 detection (panning). It's enough to get started with for daylight shooting, and adding a 50mm f/1.8 would provide a cheap way to experiment with low-light shooting, and using a prime.

One advantage of the T1i not mentioned yet is the higher resolution display. If you're doing portraits or macro work, live view with 10x magnification on the T1i is a great way to ensure your focus is where you want it.

Adorama has, in the past, had the T1i w/out lens for $500. I haven't seen that available for 4 months, while it's perpetually available with the kit lens. I just mention that because if you could find it without the kit lens, I think the $70 extra for the better display, higher resolution (15MP vs. 12), video, and lower noise is a decent deal.