...some may not be happy as I have raised a similar thread about this query and I do apologize as somehow I missed seeing this prior.

I'm in the same boat and can't decide over the 300 4L or the 400 5.6L.Looking at "Nate's" photo's, itlooks like I'm leaning towards the 400 5.6L.

There has also been mention of the 100-400 5.6L, but is this not as slow as the 400 5.6L? I have the 70-200 2.8 IS so the 100-200 to me is out of the question and prefer the prime over the zoom (I don't like the push-pull). The only benefit that I can see with the 100-400 over the 400 is the IS functionality but again, you won't be freezing the action only hand-holding capability when stepping down (??).

I know I won't be using either during the evening as this is where my 70-200 2.8 comes in. I would then ask those with experience with either lens,is the 400 5.6L slower than the 300 4L to auto-focus when primarily used for nature shots during the day (typical sunny day)? Which one is the sharper with or without a 1.4x TC. My camera body is a 450D but I'm also leaning towards upgrading to the 7D. Maybe Henrys or Vistek could give me special pricing on the bundle - dare to dream!

Thanks