I am currently looking to upgrade my everyday lens. I currently have the kit 18-55 on an my RebelXSI.

To add some morebackgroundinfo: I also currently have a 10-22 and a 55-250 mm.I like to shoot pretty much anything and everything.

I, like many others, am considering the 17-55 f2.8 IS. I know that everyone here has said that the 17-55 is the best for a crop body, and that is where I'm leaning.

However, I can't stop wondering about the 24-70 f2.8L. I know that the 24-70 is best utilized on a full frame, and I honestly don't know when and if I'll be going full frame. But I do like the build quality and image quality of the 24-70L...and its an L

1. Would getting the 24-70 still not be wide enough for an everyday lens on a crop body even if I have the 10-22 to cover the wider range?

2.Would the 24-70 be too much lens for a crop body and I really shouldn't bother until I finally have a full frame?

3. I've heard issues with the 17-55's image stabilization and/orauto focusfailing and just overall build quality of the 17-55 is just a tad lower. thoughts?