I have a 1DS3 and a 7D. I always considered an APS-H a compromise, not the best full frame, not the best crop factor. For sports the 7D is excellent. Its focusing system is very accurate, colours and tones are great and all in all an excellent camera. Its downsides i feel are that when you have a pro series camera it feels cheap, small and plastic compared to the 1D. I know its not, its very well built it just feels less well built. Ive checked out its weather sealing and its as good as the L lenses the guy who works for Canon told me. The crop factor really is a massive bonus when you want reach. Its so much better than cropping my full frame. I feel its downside is its high ISO performance especially when the light isnt so good. I dont use high ISO much i.e above 800 but you do get noise, more so than my friends Nikon. That said my pics have better resolution. Noise is just a fact of life in packing in hugh numbers of pixels in a small area. My 1D is therefore used for everything other than sports/birds. The IDS autofocus is also excellent and i feel has better high ISO performance from the shots ive done. The 7D works excellently with my 70-200 f2.8Land 500f4 so all in all its an excellent sports/wildlife camera. Im very happy with it (but i still love my 1DS3 better).

Mick