Okay, first off let me say that I am "in love" with the 135mm f/2 L. That is a HELLA-NICE lens. I've rented it on several occassions and the shots I get with it are SICK! In that good way! I own a 7D and 50D for cameras. The EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro is another great lens. For portraits I find them almost the same, though the 100mm is a tad easier to frame up (especially on cropped bodies) and the 135 is slightly sharper/better IQ, but really they both are great in all those areas. The 135 f/2 is better for ANY indoor work compared to the Macro, but the Macro isn't "macro" it's MACRO. True 1:1 stuff going on there, and amazing IS and a nice lens hood. Lightweight too! Newest technology since it just came out. My ONLY wait to get the 135 f/2 (i don't own either, only rented them) is that it's a fairly old lens now I think, and I thought maybe they'd come out with a new one soon. Doesn't really need IS though. I'd say if you've got a FF and a cropped body, you should go with the 135 f/2. I really think that will do you the best! Really though, you can't "lose" with either pick!

picture was taken with my 50D and 135 f/2 I rented. Not the best example, but an example nonetheless

www.freshphotohawaii.com