Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

If the Lamodi guy actually used a flash like the 580EXII with a longer flash head, the results would have been a little different. I think he may have looked for the shortest flash he could find.

With a simple mod, to close up the back of the other dish, I think it would actually be a good modifier.

If you are DIY person, I can find the link the Lamodi ripped the idea for his from and for about $15-$20 trip to the Home Depot Garden Center and an hour or so of your time you could make your own.

I know you're not a fan of it, but you could at least spell it correctly-- Lumodi. :-) And from what I can tell, he used Sony's flash that is basically an equivalent to a 430EX in shape and specs (and I don't see anything wrong with that).

Truth be told, sure, you could make this a DIY project. I'm sure that's how Brandon came up with his final design--by creating, testing, modifying, testing, etc--all to reach afinal design. I've talked to Brandon on a couple of occasions, and I know he went through several stages (like figuring out the optimal shape, material weight, securing mechanism, and paint) when creating his product. I'm sure he'll keep making incremental changes until he feels everything works the best way it possibly can.

Simply put, I don't have the time, patience, or attention to create a beauty dish for my speedlights. The price was well worth it to me. After having used the product many times, I can honestly say I like the way the light is shaped when using the Lumodi--and I'll continue to use it when I feel it's appropriate.