Hello all!

I just signed on to this forum, actually this is the only forum I've joined! Anyway I liked all the sound advice I was reading and would like some of your input and knowledge to helpme out. To start off I recently purchased my Canon 40D camera. I love seeing the world and people through a camera and so this camera has been a great intro intoamerature photography for me. I have two lenses currently, the canon 50mm f/1.4 and the canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. Eventually I will buy the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 to replace the 28-135mm but that is down the road a ways. I desperately need a good(great) indoor low light lense and need help deciding. When I start researching it leads to so much that I just don't know. Which leads me to a couple of my questions.......the " lense lingo".

One of my questions is what is the difference between regular EOS lenses and the L-series lenses?

My second question is when I see a lense that has f/4L as the aperature, what does that mean exactly?I understand f/2.8 or f/1.4but not the4???

I was planning on buying the canon 17-55mm f/2.8 lense. I've read its a great indoor low light lense but then I saw the canon 24-70mm f/2.8 lense. I can't seem to decipher which would be better.I want a quality lense and would spend the extra$200 if needed.How big of a difference will the 17mm vs the 24mm be?