Quote Originally Posted by Iguide
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

So far I have been more frustrated with digital more than any thing else and not happy with any of my work. While I see value in post processing, sometimes I get the feeling that it is just away to cover up deficiencies in the work and does not require paying as much attention to details actually taking the the photo. As it is I am learning the mechanics but have not been able to put it all together to produce work I would be willing to show to others.
<div id="refHTML"]</div>
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Don't give up! You can make the transition. The work you do in post is part of the process - taking the place of what would be done in the dark room, or by whomever processes your film. Shoot raw, and convert later; it's not just for salvaging bad shots, it will make everything better in general.

When working with digital, you generally have less dynamic range to work with, so you have to nail your exposure in camera. The preview on the camera's lcd is often deceiving. Setup your camera to show the histogram when you shoot, so you can see exactly how you're exposing. I like to have the highlight alert on (can't remember if that's what it's called right now), so it flashes areas of the photo that are clipped.