JJphoto,

I use a tripod but do not use a cable release or mirror lock up. It took me a few months and a few thousand shots to begin to get consistently sharp ones, I was dissapointed when I first got the lens until I realized that practicing your technique was also required. Here is what I learned by trial and error:

1. I try to get as close as I can (using a bird feeder and camoflage hide usually 15 ft or less) then I try to lock the tripod down as tight as possible and further steady it with my left hand.

2. Itry to get as much shutter speed as possible for the given light conditions even if you have to push the iso a little higher than you would like.

3.I want to push the histogram as far to the right as possible without blowing anything out. This gives the most detail in the image. The image may even look washed out on the camera LCD but if the highlights aren't blinking much it's good.

4. In post processingI convert the RAW image with ACR and maybe sharpen a little

5. After conversion I run shadow/highlight adjustment first then levels adjustment, anything else after these depending on what is needed.

6. Iusually sharen lastwith USMat a low ratio like 0.2 to 0.4 but I may make multiple passes.

7. I create a mask and run noise reduction and sometimes a gaussian blur on the background only

This my general method, YMMV

Joel