Hi all,

I've got a Canon Eos 400D with 18-55mm kit lens, and am looking to buy a new lens. I'm an architecture student taking a year out and as such will be travelling a lot in the coming year. That also means that I don't have much money to spend, pushing at 400 euro if something is really worth it. I'm prepared to chance used lens'.

As an architect quite a few of my shots are likely to be of buildings, particularly in quite tight urban locations. This has led me to consider a wide-angle lens. Am I right that these lenses are useful here? The Sigma 10-20mm is the most I could afford. The Canon 10-22mm is definately out cost-wise. Or what alternatives are there?

I found a very old Tokina 20-35mm F3.5-F4.5 lens on ebay for 80euro and am considering this also... My main concern is that it might need a chip to work on my 400D, and also the fact that its literally ancient.

I also am tempted just to screw everything and get one nice lens like the sigma 30mm for 'those' sunset shots!

But for a year of general travel I also think it wise that I get a more 'all-in-one' lens, with a bit more quality and zoom than my 18-55. After doing my research I've come to the conclusion that my best bet (in my price range) is probably the Canon 28-135mm....

Reading this you probably realise I'm a novice with a lot of ignorance - forgive me! I know there is no 'right' answer as such for what I should do, but any pointers at all regarding any of this would be greatly appreciated - thank you!