Yet another question from me here in the accessories section!

I could do with something to soften the light from my 580 EXII. Opinions on how to do this, as is so often with this hobby, seem to be contradictory. I gather the Lightsphere II is a bit of a gimmick. I read a thread recommending the Lumiquest 80-20, and looking at the manufucturer's website the Promax system seems to cater for every need; it also looks pretty good value for money, while being refreshingly simple and light - compared to a lot of these metal beasts available which seem a bit unnecessary to me.

I have had some good results from bouncing my flash using the in-built card, but what bothers me is that it's awkward to use ceiling bounce in portrait mode - which, since portraits are usually what bounce flash is for, seems a bit odd to me. Unfortunately the Lumiquest bouncers don't appear to be suitable for using ceiling bounce either.

Any suggestions? Or are these accessories not worth it, and I should just learn to use the kit I have so that it doesn't give harsh or shadowy results?