Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Keith, are you saying that you would choose the 85 over the 50 if you usually had plenty of room to work with?

I'm thinking about these lenses (have been for some time). I always thought I would get the 85 f/1.2 first. For one thing, it is sharper. For another, I like I like that focal length on ff better for perspective and prefer a little more working distance. Also, I like the look of pictures taken with larger aperture lenses, perhaps because the quantity of blur is greater at a given f number when you use a longer focal length.

But all of this must be weighed against the superior *quality* of blur on the 50 1.2, and perhaps this is more important than all the rest.

I'm just sort of babbling here, but since you have both lenses, I'd appreciate anything you have to say

I would take the 85L over the 50L if space allowed. It doesn't focus as fast but it is definitely more accurate especially at wide f/stops. Both produce amazing images but I think the 85 are just a little more so. I don't shoot f/8+ often so I don't see the focus shift of the 50 and can't really say if it is or isn't an issue. I definitely don't see it at 5.6. The 50 1.2 handles CA better. It is actually amazing how little CA the 50 has wide open.