OK, Daniel, I can't argue with you[]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
recommended the 70-200 f/2.8 II + 2X TC. It's the only weather sealed option, and the quality is still pretty good.

I have to say I didn't think about weather seal too much, if that's the priority, I'll agree with you. I would like to see the" pretty good" results from anybody in a constant basis from the 70-200 2.8II+2XTC combo, see if that will change my mind, the reason I say that is because I took some bird pictures with 7D,300mm2.8,2XTCII combo, I didn't like most of the pictures cause the IQ got degraded very much, they were not considered "pretty good " to me even for a web sized picture. here is the example. I used tripod to take this shot. I also found that this combo(300mm 2.8+2.0TC) can't effectively track fast moving birds(e.g. turns) because the 2XTC makes the speed of AF a lot slower. who care about weather seal if you can't even make the bird in focus? or constantly making low grade pictures?I want to say it again, 70-200mmII is very nice but it just not ideal for bird/wildlife, cause it's just too short and slower AF, at least I don't want to spent more then $2500 on a lens and TC that only make" pretty good "quality pictures[]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8561.DPP_5F00_00002.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
and none of them have the four-stop I.S

I will agree with you too if this is another priority for bird/wild life, , but I don't think it is. shooting in field usually has lots of lights and you can always use flash or tripod to help. 400mm 5.6 has no IS, but it's a well-known lens for BIF. Nate has a lot of great bird pictures(not just BIF, and he always hand helding) took with this lens, I would hardly believe that the IQ from 70-2002.8II or with 2.0TC combo will be better than the IQ from 400mm 5.6 in a constant basis if we talking about bird/wildlife.

if weather seal and IS are not the priority, then what's the whole purpose of choosing version II over version I? the IQ right? isn't that the version I +400mm5.6 a lot better than version II+ TCII in the whole range of 70-400 if we talking about bird/wildlife for a given price range?

then again, I'm still very new in this photography thing, I don't mean to argue with you , please correct me if I'm wrong, Daniel , I'm willing to learn, thanks.

Damn, It's so late now, I'll be very sleepy tomorrow at work![:@]

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>