I am about a year into this addiction called Photography! I started with my first DSLR as a T1i last October and now have a 60D scehduled to arrive Monday. (Let me be the first to say that one of the key driving factors for the 60D over the 7D was in-fact the articulating screen because I shoot video ringside for MMA events - but more importantly the 400 price difference sealed it for me.)

I can quickly see that this will be an expensive hobby but since I am a newbie (he says with pride) I am very price concious and am not comfortable with dropping $$ north of 700.00 or even 1000.00 for the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS (which is probably going to be my lens of choice)

I am looking for something within that focal range (17-55) that can be my leave it on the body lens for most everything. I shoot mostly my kids - outdoor portraits but recently was asked to be the photographer for our chuch so there will be a lot of indoor shooting. I am looking at the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF Lens which is roughly 400 and change after the current rebate.

Anyone have any experience with them? How about Sigmas? any other suggestions?

I am also an amateur MMA / Boxing photographer - basically I get to tag along with my brother in law who is a professional MMA photographer and his 5D MII