Hey everyone,

So I'm looking at picking up a new lens for my 7D. I currently own the discontinued 24-85 f/3.5-4.5, the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS. I'm looking to pick up a better wide angle lens, since I'm constantly comparing quality of the 24-85 images to the 70-200 and 100-400 and always coming out disappointed.

Recently I've taken up a lot of model and portrait shoots, as well as indoor event photography, some of those events without the availability of flash. So I feel the slow aperture, and poor IQ of the 24-85 is really holding me back. I've heard great things about the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, and I've also considered the 24-70 f/2.8. I know the 24-70 is heavier, more expensive and lacks IS, but it has the better build quality and weather sealing. I do some nature photography along with the indoor stuff, which is why I need a good wide angle lens that will offer the IQ I want, while still helping me to work well in just about any shooting environment.

So my question is if the 17-55 the best choice and compromise? Or should I go with the 24-70 so I'm safe to shoot anywhere and just bump up my ISO a stop or 2 to get the required shots?

Thanks,

Mike