Quote Originally Posted by LDH01
Are you recommending the 50mm and 85mm because of the particular lenses or because of the benefits of the focal lengths?

Our recommendations are usually based on both. First and foremost, you'll need to know what focal length your particular needs require. Both the 50mm and 85mm lenses are almost useless in tight quarters. In fact, I've found the 35 f/2 to be a bit tight indoors at times--but to me, it's more certainly more useful in those situations. However, the 35mm f/2's build quality is terrible in comparison to, let's say, the 85mm f/1.8. Therefore, if an 85mm lens would suit your needs the same as or better than a 35mm lens, you'd be a fool to purchase the 35mm f/2.

I own the 35mm f/2, the 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.8. While I find that the 85mm f/1.8 turns out better image quality, its focal length is less useful to me than the 50mm f/1.4. The 35mm focal length is probably most useful to me, but the image and build qualities lead me to use the 50mm lens whenever I can get away with it. So, for my needs, the 50mm f/1.4 is the best compromise of the three lenses--and therefore gets used the most.