Hmm thanks for the tip on the White Lighting Ultra!! I'll definitely look into that.

Now that I think about it, if I'm going to be underexposing the background, then whether it is in focus or OOF becomes less of an issue. Touche []

If the two methods are of equal price though, I may still bank on the portability of the speedlight. That and I also like photographing events too and I'm starting to feel the limits of a manual flash (Although in certain circumstances, bouncing off the ceiling at a constant power is favorable). ETTL from the Canon speedlights might be next on my wish list. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I've tried rear-curtain sync using optical triggers with less-than-reliable results. Then again, I may have been stretching the practical use by just a bit (I won't go into detail).

I was thinking about having the canon speedlight(On camera in HSS mode) optically triggering the Cactus V4 transmitter so it would radio trigger the Cactus V4 receivers to set off the off camera flashes. I came across some hotshoe optical triggers going for about $30. Although the range of the Cactus V4's are pretty sketchy so I wouldn't know how practical that would be as well...