Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Just looking at 1 picture its hard to pin it down. A person really needs a series of pictures at each setting to determine if it is hitting or not. Another thing is even though say the picture with Natures Recipe appears to be dead on, I know that that the positioning of your camera is skewed and not square to the table. Same thing with the lenses. You can see the DOF trail off sideways up and down in the pics.

You should be using AF single point, single shot to test with. Since you do not have a lensalign, maybe lay a ruler down on the table next to the item you are shooting. It might help getting a feel of what is going on.

With the 500mm F4L on the 5D, which is extremely accurate (the most accurate lens I own) at 0 I had Front Focus of 12, On Focus of 21 and Back Focus of 3 in the series. Even the most accurate lens combinations are going to drift front to back a little. You got to hit the right average at the setting that works.

If its not to late to send it back, I wouldn't hesitate sending it and getting a different copy. We pay to much for our equipment for it not to perform the way we expect. Another copy might do better, or not.

Hi Rick -

Believe me I have taken numerous shots of each subject at all settings from +5 thru +18. These I think are the best, although I have not gone thru all of them yet. Most it is really hard to see a difference in +14 to +15. Also, I was wondering if it was normal for a lens to do really good at one setting then all of a sudden not so much. I'm also wondering if +14 ends up being the setting, should I really keep a lens that needs that much of an adjustment. After spending soooo much time getting it there, to send it back for another copy to go thru it again isn't very appealing to me either. B&H extending their return time frame due to the holidays so I am able to return it anytime before January 17th.

Happy Holidays!
Denise