So I need to step up my photography a notch or three. I have been doing this on the side for a while and I will be moving to Montreal very soon. Upon arrival, I would very much like to hit-the-ground-running with my photography business. Currently, I'm shooting sports and portraits mostly, but not much for money. I want to start getting more involved on the business side of photography. Are there any people with some good business experience that can give me (and the other readers) some pointers?

Currently, I shoot with a Canon 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, and I'm in the process of purchasing a Zeiss ZE 85mm f/1.4. I also have a 430EXII Speedlite. I'm looking at purchasing (very soon I hope) the 580EXII Speedlite in addition to my current one, and also a new main body (my 7D would become my second body). This new body I REALLY want to be full-frame... and I'm thinking the next full-frame camera to be released is what I'll buy. I don't care for the AF on the 5DMkII and the 1Ds is too expensive for me right now.

Other than gear, what sorts of things do you recommend? Below I'll list some questions, and I'd love to hear your "open talk" input, or you can simply answer with the question # and then your answer. Thanks everyone!

1) What are the best ways to market the business? (best meaning most effective and also least expensive... online social networking, free gigs, putting business cards everywhere, flyers etc...)

2) I'm not currently a "wedding photographer" but am thinking of taking them on, at least at the beginning, to get a jump-start and get my name out. Are there other alternatives to this and if not, and I go with wedding photography in the beginning, are there other specialized things I might need? (Epson media-card reader for storage/backup, addition speedlites and/or special diffusers, external battery packs for the 580EXII, etc...)

3) I'd love to do some high-key portraits but I don't [and won't] have a studio. Is there a good way to get some portable lights and a small backdrop (all rather portable) to be able to do this on location?

4) What are your thoughts on business groups such as BNI and Chamber of Commerce? Would other groups be more appropriate or is it a waste of time?

5) How much money should I spend upfront on new equipment, business cards, marketing, etc... Is is smart to take out a business loan with a business plan and go that route, or continue to just go with what I have and try to make it work (even if it's slower to succeed?)

6) I have the EF 50mm f/1.4 and I'm QUITE happy with it. I'm thinking, though, that the EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM would be more ideal, and I think that is what most wedding photographers use (Jasmine Star for just one example). I'm wondering if you think the image quality is really that much better on that lens, and if 1/3 of a stop is really that much faster. I've read several reviews, and also rented the 50mm f/1.2 on several occasions, and I'm not sure that there's a HUGE difference. Do you think there is enough to justify the purchase though? Any other lenses I should get to replace my current ones or just have in addition? Ideally, I'd like to have as few pieces of gear as possible, and do as much natural-light work as possible also. But I know that to some extent, that all isn't possible.

7) What are some real fun little gimmicks, niches, or clever thoughts to approaching marketing and business-networking that aren't very obvious. My companies name is FRESH Photography, and I want it to have that "airy" and sort of "freshness" to it. That's why there are flowers/plants on my portfolio page. I'm wondering if there is a nice way to use this name to my advantage.

8) Do you have thoughts on doing business in another country when I'm "supposed" to be doing so? Eventually, if we can settle down there, I would like to make my business in Canada official, but I'm feeling like for the time-being, I might have to keep it under-the-table.

ANY THOUGHTS YOU HAVE ON THESE ISSUES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED! BELOW ARE MY WEBSITES IF YOU'RE CURIOUS, THANKS!

www.freshphotography.us

freshphotoblog.wordpress.com